Waterside School is firmly grounded in the belief that students are most successful when a powerful, effective, consistent partnership has been created between home and school. Waterside parents are expected to be actively engaged in supporting their children’s success on a daily basis, and expected also to take an active role in the life of the school, by participating in a variety of activities and events, and giving regularly of their time and talents in helping the school fulfill its mission.
Waterside parents are active, engaged, enthusiastic participants in the life of the school. They serve in a variety of different ways – serving breakfast and lunch, working on committees to plan and carry out the many events that take place during the school year, raising money to help the school, and responding to any need that arises. Their commitment to their children’s education, and their love for the children’s school shine through as an inspiration to all, and a good part of Waterside’s greatness is due to them.
During the admission process, parents begin to learn about what is expected of a Waterside parent, and later, when a child is accepted, the parent receives and signs the Waterside Parent Contract, a document which clearly outlines the many responsibilities a parent is accepting when the family joins Waterside. At the Parent Coffee in the beginning of the school year, parents learn about the many volunteering opportunities from members of our Waterside Parent Council (WPC) that are available, and sign up for ones that work best with their schedule and interests.
WATERSIDE PARENT COUNCIL
• Represents all parents of Waterside School, and makes an effort to actively engage as many parents as possible
• Creates the agenda for and leads the monthly Parent Council meetings
• Oversees event planning committees to make sure all jobs are getting done
• May present at various school events and at our Admission Open House
• Shares the President’s duties and works closely with the parents
• Fills in for the President when he or she is unable to be present at a meeting or an event
• This is a multi-year position
• Helps organize parent fund-raisers
• Keeps track of all funds the Parent Association has raised and spent
• Gives a monthly financial report at each meeting
Breakfast and Lunch CoordinatorExpand
• Organizes and signs up parents to serve and supervise at breakfast and lunch period
• Confirms on a weekly basis with the people who have signed up
This important position assures communication between the Parent Council and all the Waterside Parents. This person takes notes at the monthly meetings, writes them up, and sends them to the Assistant to the Head of School to distribute to all parents through email.
• Two are needed in each class
• Works closely with your child’s teachers throughout the year to assist with class events, fieldtrips, parties, etc.
KICK-OFF BOWLMOR FUN NIGHT EVENTExpand
SAVE THE DATE: TBD
Let’s take the kids to the movies at Waterside! This a fun family night out where parents and children bring their own blankets and cozy up on the gym floor to watch a movie. Movie nights are scheduled to take place on dress down Fridays.
SAVE THE DATES: TBD
PIZZA BINGO NIGHTExpand
Come eat some pizza, play some bingo and win lots of great prizes. This is a fun night out with family and friends.
SAVE THE DATE: March 8, 2024
A Waterside School tradition honoring and celebrating our multicultural heritage and diversity filled with festivities and dishes from around the world.
SAVE THE DATE: April 27, 2024
Help save a life today by donating blood to a person in need. The American Red Cross will be at our school accepting blood donations.
SAVE THE DATE: TBD
ANNUAL PARENT RAFFLE DRAWING & FAMILY FUN DAYExpand
Help raise scholarship funds for Waterside.
SAVE THE DATE: TBD
Waterside families LOVE Waterside teachers and can’t thank them enough for what they do for their children! WPC coordinates special lunches and raffle drawings throughout the year to show them how much the families care.